Wednesday 10 April 2013

Date, cashew and coconut truffles



I eat everything - meat, dairy, gluten, sugar... everything that is, except what those with food allergies, dietary restrictions or particular ethical beliefs routinely eat (and enjoy) because they can't eat those things. I'm squeamish about soy milk. I'm suspicious of margarine and other chemically-manufactured substitute products (though I'm grateful that whatever that is my dad spreads on his toast is lowering his cholesterol). To me, TVP sounds more like a disease than something I'd ever feel like tucking into, and as for tofu ice-cream, I'm not the slightest bit curious. Quite possibly this prejudice of mine is a problem. But I'm not inclined to work on it - not even remotely - when there are recipes like these featuring everyday, natural, wholly delectable ingredients that allow me to cook for the people in my life with dietary restrictions and myself at the same time. We all win.


These truffles contain neither butter nor cream yet they're rich, decadent and delicious while still being gluten-free, dairy-free and even vegan. A lactose-intolerant friend tried one and remarked that it tasted "like it should be much worse for you than it actually is", which was about as high a compliment as it could have possibly received. So go on, have another. I'm going to.





Date, cashew and coconut truffles
Recipe adapted from tea cup tea 

These taste equally good chilled or at room temperature. I used the good Dutch cacao powder in my batch but I reckon regular old unsweetened cocoa would work just fine.


1 cup raw cashews
1 cup raw coconut shreds
6 tablespoons cacao powder, plus more for dusting
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 Medjool dates
3 tablespoons water

In a food processor, pulse all ingredients for about 2 minutes until a dough is formed and all ingredients seem integrated. Tip the mixture out onto a sheet of parchment paper and press it into a block about 3/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes with the cookie cutter of your choice or simply slice into squares. Dust with more cacao and store in refrigerator.

4 comments:

  1. These look absolutely delectable

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you send me some please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh these look similar to something I have made with walnuts and almonds, rather than cashews. I'll have to give this cashew version a try as these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I made these last week! But there is a crucial ingredient missing in the recipe... Booze! I laced mine with Brandy and highly recommend it :-)

    ReplyDelete